Cañon City is getting a new outdoor gear store. Located in central Colorado, Cañon City is home to miles of commercially rafted and fished river, innumerable hiking and mountain biking trails, and world-class rock climbing. With so many opportunities for outdoor adventure, it’s high time an outdoor gear shop opened in the area.
River Station Paddling Shop will fill a much-needed role for Cañon City’s growing outdoor enthusiast population. Located less than a mile from Centennial Park and the Cañon City Play Wave and less than one minute from the popular River Station Take-out, River Station Paddling Shop will serve the whitewater and river communities.
What Will River Station Paddling Shop Carry?
Cañon City’s outdoor gear store, River Station Paddling Shop, will carry a variety of outdoor gear from well-known brands, including Aire and Hyside, NRS, and Astral, as well as Darn Tough, Sweet Protection, and, of course, River Station Gear.
Besides outdoor gear, Cañon City’s River Station Paddling Shop is an excellent place to find gifts, souvenirs, and original artwork. Not only that, but the shop can make custom pieces for paddlers, including throw bags and mesh gear bags.
As the name suggests, River Station Paddling Shop will focus on whitewater, river, and paddling gear. The shop’s proximity to the Cañon City Play Wave, the renowned Royal Gorge river stretch, and the Arkansas River make it uniquely situated to cater to the rafters, private boaters, and kayakers that run the river.
River Station Paddling Shop will feature several inflatables from reputable and trusted manufacturers.
- Aire – Aire Rafts are made with a one-of-a-kind high-tenacity polyester base layer and a Ferrari-manufactured PVC for ultra-durable inflatables.
- Hyside – Hyside uses UV and abrasion-resistant Hypalon in their inflatables and is used by many commercial outfitters up and down the Arkansas River Valley.
- Kokopelli Packrafts – Packrafts allow paddlers to explore remote and inaccessible areas with ease. Kokopelli has been leading the industry with innovative designs and quality outfitting.
River Station Gear
River Station Gear throw bags and whitewater gear quickly became fan favorites for their bright colors, precise construction, and high-grade materials. Cañon City’s Outdoor Gear Store will feature all their products, including:
- Rapid Pack Throw bag–
- Mesh Bags –
- Dry Thwart Bags –
Cañon City’s seasonal guide and year-round boating community will be pleased to know River Station Paddling Gear will carry whitewater helmets. (If one gets left at a put-in or lost on the river.)
- Sweet Protection – Sweet Protection makes highly fitted and adaptable helmets for whitewater paddlers.
- WRSI – Committed to whitewater safety, WRSI specializes in helmets for rafting, kayaking, and every whitewater sport in between.
Having a local outdoor gear store means river enthusiasts won’t have to pay for shipping to get needed gear.
- Astral – Trusted by pros like Nouria Newman, Astral PFDs are great for recreational weekend warriors, commercial guides, and river safety operatives.
- NRS – An industry leader, NRS offers a wide range of PFDs for every level and budget.
Besides the above essentials, River Station Paddling Shop will also carry all the necessary accessories for enjoying the river and staying safe.
- Astral Footwear
- Bedrock Sandals
- PFD Knives
- Gear Bags
- Repair Kits
- Fanny Packs
- Water Bottles
SUPs and SURF
Besides a thriving whitewater scene, Cañon City offers beautiful places to stand up paddle board and surf. The new Cañon City Gear store will carry:
- Badfish – Born on the banks of the Arkansas River, Badfish makes river-specific surf and SUP boards.
- Hala Gear – Steamboat Springs-based Hala Gear makes SUP boards for whitewater, yoga, fishing, and more.
- Surf Leashes – With an emphasis on safety in moving water, River Station Paddling Shop will carry surf-safe leashes.
River Station Paddling Shop will have everything from fleece dresses and wool socks to tees and hats.
- River Station Gear – Shop original, locally designed clothing from the shopowners.
- Darn Tough Socks – Wool socks for any adventure. Darn Tough socks are made for comfort, durability, and fit.
- Ouray – Ouray specializes in tee shirts, fleece, outerwear, and various headwear styles.
- Hats – Trucker hats, five panels, and uniquely colored original designs to protect you from the high mountain sun.
With experience making custom gear for the Arkansas River’s many commercial outfitters, River Station Paddling Shop offers in-house custom construction of throw bags and duffels. Choose your color scheme, rope color and length, and size for a true one-of-a-kind piece of gear that no one else in the world has. Custom pieces are made with the same attention to detail and careful construction as every River Station Gear item.
With art from local artists, this outdoor gear store is more than just a place to outfit yourself. Find original prints and designs for your home, office, or front desk.
Gifts and Souvenirs
With the holiday season just around the corner, check out Cañon City’s Outdoor Gear Store for gifts and souvenirs.
- Coffee Cups
Why Cañon City?
Although Cañon City is primarily known for its prison population, it is also home to a growing outdoor sports community attracted by its temperate winters, extensive trail system, sport climbing, and well-known river sections.
The Arkansas River/Royal Gorge
The Arkansas River is the most commercially rafted river in the United States. Each year, more than 175,000 commercial guests rafted the Arkansas River, and that same year, commercial outfitters generated nearly $22 million in visitor expenditure for Fremont County.
Besides the commercial user days, the Arkansas River and Royal Gorge sections attract thousands of private boaters from around the state and the country. With this in mind, Cañon City is an obvious choice for an outdoor gear and paddling store.
Shelf Road Climbing Area, located just north of Cañon City, has more than 1,200 sport climbs. The climbs range from easy 5.7 to expert-only 5.14s. The area's warm weather means Shelf Road is climbable year-round. For climbing gear, check out Cafe Belay in downtown Cañon City.
According to MTB Project, Cañon City boasts 85 miles of mountain biking trails ranging from beginner to black diamond. Local mountain bikers know that Oil Well Flats, the Royal Gorge Trail System, and the South Cañon Trails offer engaging mountain biking and stunning views.
Cañon City’s Own Outdoor Gear Shop
Outsiders might know Cañon City for being a prison town. Luckily, that narrative is changing as more and more people discover the many outdoor recreation opportunities in the area. From wildly popular whitewater and climbing to mountain biking and hiking, the area offers so much, but outdoor enthusiasts are left without a place to find the gear they need.
That is all changing with River Station Paddling Shop, Cañon City’s own outdoor gear store. The store will carry everything whitewater-related, even rafts and surfboards, accessories, helmets, outdoor clothing, and more.
Join us in helping to grow the outdoor community, increase access, and share this beautiful area by visiting us online at riverstationgear.com or in person at 125 S. 5th St, Cañon City, Colorado.
By: Megan Y. McPartland